Today, I’m sharing a very personal story and decision.
I’ve been an anomaly ALLLLLL my life. And, thankfully, I’ve always been comfortable in my own skin. I believe the following quote wholeheartedly. I can only be me, I cannot, and more importantly, I will not try to fit in.
So, I have a confession: I’ve never wanted children. Never. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I (or my amazing hubby) don’t like children. On the contrary, we LOVE other people’s children. They’re the best kind of children because you can babysit and spoil them for a few hours and then return them to their parents! People look at us like we’re on drugs when we say that we do not want children. And, this brings me to my next point. I teach my students to value difference. I celebrate other people’s choices in life. If someone wants to be a mother, I am genuinely happy for them. Parenthood is not my calling or desire. And, I wish that people would celebrate that choice. With that said, I think that there are several things people should NOT say to a person (or a couple) who does not want children, including but not limited to the following:
1. You’d be great parents. My response: Really? How do you know?
2. You’re being selfish. My response: it’s selfish to procreate when that’s not your desire.
3. Who will take care of you when you’re older? My response: that’s why senior care facilities exist.
4. What about your legacy? My response: The Internet will document it.
5. Children are totally worth it. My response: They definitely are if that’s your desire.
6. You will change your mind. My response: I promise you that I will not. I love my sleep. I love spending uninterrupted time with my amazing hubby.
And, just so you know, here is one of the biggest reasons why I’m childless by choice: I LOVE my amazing hubby, and I do not want to share him with anyone!
Finally, I LOVE this book by comedian Jen Kirkman (it’s really refreshing to see someone engaging the “I’m childless by choice and there is nothing wrong with me” segment of the population:
So, there you have it! Are there any choices/decisions you’ve made that people criticize? Do tell!
Thanks for stopping by!